Sunday, January 30, 2011

Blog Post #2

Did You Know?
The statistics brought forth in this video is nothing short of alarming. It makes you say "wow", but not in an exciting elated kind of way. This is a wake up call to this "Great Nation" of ours. America the Great is on the brink of becoming" America the Late", America the leader will soon become "America the Lost".
Based on the information in this short video, the United States can not continue to hold it's place as a leader in technology. India and China's future leader will take their prospective rolls as Presidents and Policy makers of the new era. This new policy era will be one where the world stage will be influenced by decisions made by nations whom once looked up to America. Now it seems America will in stead of implementing change with technology will soon be one who follows those changes.
In the end we must close the Education gap. These statistics are unacceptable, we must by whatever means necessary have our leaders prepared to meet the challenges of an uncertain tomorrow. As quoted in the video "We are living in exponential times", because of this ever changing course that is growing literally by the second, we are bound by duty to take a proactive approach to embrace change.

Harnessing Students
My first response to the video, is that I know a lot of schools that are in the poverty area will probably never get the experience of learning about computers. It is also amazing and true that children have the capability of learning and also teaching the teacher. I agree with the teaching method, which allows a child to explore through what is known as the internet, I believe that teachers sometimes take children for granted about what the do.We have to give them a chance and let them discover and broaden their horizons by way of technology.
There were a lot of positive information on this video,which would seem very helpful in teaching a classroom. It is imperative that teachers employ every aspect of their teaching technique available to them. I'm currently enrolled in a class that involves a lot of time on the computer, and to me it's hard, and I don't grasp the concept very easily, but I have come to realize that computers have become a essential part of our lives and if I want to be successful then I need to better my skills in technology.
I feel in order for a child to adapt, to this changing world in technology they must possess some computers skills. Children of todays world will fall behind other nations if we do not adapt to the teaching methods of this modern age.

Mr. Winkle Wakes
This video makes me think back to when I was in school 20 years ago and the teaching methods compared to todays teaching has not changed much. The world is ever so changing and so is technology. We are living in age of technology, but yet primitive in our teaching methods. I understand that the basics are important in when it comes to teaching education, but how can we advance in our teaching when we won't allow ourselves to incorporate the world of technology into the classroom?
Technology is growing rapidly and it need to play a part in our schools. Just as in the video was showing we are falling into nonexistence when it comes to change. I feel that change is good in the aspect of growing technology. Since the world's future is becoming more evolved with technology, why not give our future teachers and students the opportunity to also evolve.
We as teachers of today and tomorrow have an obligation to the Education system to make the necessary adaptation in the teaching method, and that we all will be able to function in a technological world.

The Importance of Creativity
First of all I think that Sir Ken Robinson is without a doubt one of the most intelligent "Comedians" I have heard! But seriously I really enjoyed watching him. He has the ability to keep you interested throughout the entire presentation. This video had me to reflect back upon my daughter. Here is why my daughter is a dancer, I think back 12years ago when she initially expressed an interest in dancing, she is now 13. My first response was this is a phase and it will pass. Because of my daughter persistence she was giving the opportunity of showing her side of creativity.
Sir Ken Robinson video also had me think about how children can began learning as early as the age of three. The selling part rest in the fact, that the earlier you start teaching the better it is for the children. The video also describe as he stated that children are like sponges and the can absorb and learn far more than what we challenge them to do.We have to teach children that creativity is where it all begins, it gives the child the opportunity to explore and express their ideas.
I feel the same as this speaker does, as someone who is going into the teaching field, see the need to let a child be creative in their own way. Let us remember that everything a child intend to do or does begin with thinking process.

Cecilia Gault
According to the blog we can become more intelligent by traveling. I agree with Sir Robinson, that the curriculum has to change, he says there must be a balance between science and art. He also said that the schools and community should work more closely together.
I believe in order for us to have some of the Cecelia Gault in our classrooms to enjoy some of the same success of the Cecelia Gault in this video, we must adopt some of their methods of teaching and make them our own, not only that, I think that we must start holding our students and educators to a higher standard of success. It has been proven time and time again that if the bar is set higher then they will strive to accomplish more.
Sir Robinson said, that the definition of intelligence lies in diversity, with that being said let's not become tainted in our thinking, believing any of the three myths he spoke of. we should make a conscious effort to embrace our children's creativity as well their intellectual side ensuring that will grow and develop in both areas.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Monsenya. I feel like these videos have a common theme. They are putting our Nation's education methods under the spot light and finding them to be in need of reform. I hope that our future brings change for the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monsenya, I am so proud of what you accomplished so far! We told you that you could do it Make sure to start adding pictures to your posts as well. Pick pictures that may relate to your summary of the assignments.

    ReplyDelete