Saturday, February 12, 2011

Blog post#4



Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff:Scott McLeod
I read the blog Mr. McLeod wrote, and I think he has a point our kids are learning about too much other stuff that does not have anything to do with a classroom setting. Let's think about it, our children spend most of the day chatting or on face book, what is that teaching them? I have a 13 year old daughter who had a cell phone, and I say had because all of her time was spent doing that, she was up late not getting the proper rest that she needed to function at school. Technology to a certain degree has a bad influence on todays children,and I feel like Mr. McLeod feels it needs to be a limit, and let's go back to paper and pen in the class rooms.
The iSchool Initiative
I watched the video on having a iSchool environment,he does have a point our schools are falling by the waste side, and we need to do something so that our future teachers and students will be able to continue their education. School fundings and budgets are being cut everyday, why is that so? The student was talking about using the iPhone as a learning utensil and I'm okay with that as long as the teachers are using the technology for the right reasons. I know as a society we need to grow, but where will it end? This student says that the iSchool will cut cost, but will it cut cost? to me technology isn't cheap someone has to keep the system up and running so where does that funding come from? We have to think about all the pros and cons of this new idea, and will it be worth it in the long run? Like I said before we need to find a way to keep our schools open at a cheaper cost, and this student's idea could be what we need to get on the right path to a better school. To some degree he does have a valid point with his idea, hey let's take a chance I don't think schools can get any worse than what they already are, schools are financially bankrupted anyway, maybe then we will have more jobs for our future teachers.
The Lost Generation
I watched the video on The lost Generation, and I feel the student made some good points. The generation of today do show some evidence of being uncaring about todays world. Statistics may show that to be true, but that can be changed we as a family will need to instill what is more important to our children. Every thing we have or do has a purpose in our lives and I don't think our future will be all about "me" society. Let's think about what she is saying aren't we all like that in some aspect, don't we sometimes feel like nothing is important? sure we do that's because of the type of society we live in now. To me there is no lost generation, maybe just mis guided. All of what she was saying in this video makes since, no one can say what one persons life may be like because of past statistics there are no two persons alike in this world so to say how one may feel or react does not give a person the right to say that's how everyone is. Let's give the children of the future the benefit that hey I'm not gonna follow that path of being an apathetic person.
Eric Whitacre's Vritual choir
Unbelievable is what I feel right now about this video. I am a person who don't use the internet much until I started this class but wow! the internet has progress in ways that I can't imagine, here is a man that put together a massive choir via internet without never stepping foot into a rehearsal studio, what he has done takes creativity and a world of knowledge about technology to put a master piece like this together. There's not much to say about this video except "Magnificent". Eric should be very pleased with this video and have it published across the world for his great work! Bravo!
Teaching in the 21st Century
Oh my goodness, after watching this video I feel as a future teacher If I don't grasp the concepts of technology,I won't be able to help my class to understand technology. The 21st century teachers are going to have to open their minds and hearts to learning technology. Technology is very challenging to me but, I am learning more and more each day. Teaching should be innovating and empowering.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Monsenya
    I agree with you about the ischool, i also dont know if it will cut cost. I think it has its cost to, because updates and other newer programs for the ischool are going to cost money. Where will this money come from since there already cutting education funds? I am not sure, it might work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed spelling error, sorry
    Hi Monsenya
    I agree with you about the ischool, I also don’t know if it will cut cost. I think it has its cost to, because updates and other newer programs for the ischool are going to cost money. Where will this money come from since there already cutting education funds? I am not sure, it might work out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Monsenya,

    I think you missed the point on Mr. McLeod's post. He was trying to say that he wanted others to not teach their kids technology while he did. So, his kids would be ahead of theirs and prosper.

    I think you make a good point when you say that there are no two people alike, so that people can't judge one person and cast that judgement onto everyone.

    Good post Monsenya! Be sure to proof read your post before you post it.

    Keep up the good work!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete