Sunday, February 27, 2011

blog#6

The Networked Student I watched this video a few times trying to get a understanding of what he was saying about computers in the 21st century, and I'm not sure that I do, but I do know that by the 21st century we as teachers need to be able to teach from a computer. I guess the video is saying what this class edm310 is saying , that we need to be able to use other


means of communication that don't have to be on a face to face basis.
The video is really saying what we as teacher should already know when it comes to teaching. In my opinion I think that teachers will still be needed, because even though students will be learning on their own some what there will still be that one question that needs a personal answer. Teachers are still needed to teach students even though computers will probably be the future, the students have to begin learning some where so why not let it begin with the teacher.
The video asked the question am I ready? I say right now no I am not ready, but that's not to say I can't get ready and prepare myself for the networked student. To begin my preparation is to first learn the network myself and be fully assured that I can teach what the student need to know in order for them to be able to become a networked student. I know for myself it won't happen over night, but with time, practice and dedication I will be ready for the 21st century.
A 7th Grader Personal Learning Environment This video was really informative for myself she has taught me that everything we need about any type of information is a click of a button away. She made everything seem so easy to do and learn. Her PLE was to the point of almost perfect the way everything was in order from top to bottom. If anyone were to look at my PLN they would probably be in disbelief on my organization of information, but I can say that I learn a lot by watching this video, all it takes is a little creativity.
Critiques on Smartboards I read both critiques and they both have a good point, how does the smartboard help the teacher really? What it does in my opinion is allow the teacher to stand up in front of the class and play with a new gadget. The student don't really get much interaction from this method, because the teacher is only giving instructions or writing the next assignment down. The board to some aspect has the wrong name, what makes the board smart? The teacher actually does everything for the board, that which is created on the board is done by the teacher. I have personally used the smartboard while in the class room and I think a teacher's time could be spent more wisely by actually teaching the class. The teacher uses the board as a way to teach and ask student questions, but if you think about it how many times will the student actually even touch the board yet alone write out a problem on it. Students don't get to use this method of interaction even though is is designed for the student, because the teacher is afraid the student may do something wrong and mess the board up. That is why the board is useless, it wasn't designed with the students in mind, only the teacher in trying to
make teaching easier for them.

click to here to go to positive comments on smart board

1 comment:

  1. Monsenya,

    I am glad to hear that although you do not think you are ready for the networked student, you are willing to prepare yourself. That is all we can do. We have to be willing to accept the changes that are taking place whether we like them or not, and we must decide how we will let them affect us. I think you have a great attitude towards the upcoming changes, and I also believe we still need teachers. I like the networked student is a great idea, but I think students will always need a teacher because educators do more than teach.

    ReplyDelete